Saturday, October 5, 2013

Gratitude is Felt on Another Birthday, Another Day

Suburbs were not me; I chose to live in the mts. by a lake.
By Cal Orey


As a child to adult, I felt comfort amid trees.
As I am older, I still feel age is just a number.
Tomorrow, October 6, is my birthday. A baby boomer (1946-1964) I am. I recall many moons ago, people wore buttons "Don't trust anyone over 30"...  As time passed, 40, 50 and on just seemed like another number to me. Well, that's not true. When I was in my forties and saw all the candles on the birthday cake--I stopped celebrating the numbers.
A product of the burbs in the fifties.

Age is about a lot of things. It's about experience, wisdom, accomplishment, and compassion. These things come in time and can be shared with two-leggers and four-leggers. As a younger woman I lacked in all of these areas. But as time passed, during the best and worst of times (with tribute to Charles Dickens), I endured and grew up to be a more well-rounded, self-reliant woman. And I have no regrets.


I adore my senior dog--we get each other.
So, tonight I sit here alone with three fur children: a fun-loving 10- month-old Aussie, a strong 10-year-old Brittany, and a three-year- old laid-back Siamese cat. My boys, my kids. I am thankful for the unconditional love these creatures give to me--and I give it right back. I will not forget the surgery scare a few weeks ago--a positive outcome unlike last year when I lost my other Brittany, Seth--a dog dear to me who left this world too soon. 


I rescued Zen--he rescues me right back.
A little brother...a pic is worth a 1000 words.
I am thankful for my two loving siblings--one brother, one sister. These two mentors have been there for me in different ways and will always have a place in my mind, heart, and spirit. While my parents are in Parent Heaven, I can often feel their presence amid my surroundings in work and play
My baby this year.
and it provides comfort.



Author Steinbeck held up at Fallen Leaf Lake with 2 dogs.
A healing dog who helped bring life back into my household.
So, on Sunday how will I celebrate my birthday? I will wake up to three hungry critters and feed them. I will make homemade waffles paired with brewed coffee.

Later, I will savor another long autumn walk, like today, with my canine companions...after, the pool/spa will be the destination for early afternoon. Later, a veggie pizza should suffice. And I'll look forward to Monday, the day I was born and the day I will work on the 2nd edition of one of my Healing Powers series books; get firewood delivered; and my teeth will be cleaned late in the afternoon.  These are the simple things that make me smile and my tail wag.
I feel balanced as an author-intuitive at Lake Tahoe with a dog duo.





No comments:

Post a Comment