Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Ice Cream Snowballs with a Twist for the Holidays

Snow Globes with Light and Joy
The Writing Gourmet 


This week holiday festivities and foods are everywhere. Instead of baking a fruit pie, fruitcake, molasses cookies, or vanilla fudge, I chose light ice cream snowballs. When I was a kid my mother always purchased a box of store bought snow white ice cream snowballs covered in coconut complete with squiggly green icing on top in a wreath shape and red candle in the center of each one. These balls kept in the freezer were one of my favorite desserts. It was sweet, cold, and decorative. It was special. 

While this year I'm indulging in a filmfest of Hallmark Channel Christmasy films, I learned on the little screen and real life, that this time of year is more about people, love, and light instead of decorated  trees,  house lights, big gifts, and fun parties. 
So, I decided enjoying the towering pine trees that surround me and the Lake is sufficient. While I could have cooked a turkey or roast, potatoes, rolls, and baked cookies, I will probably take the non-traditional route. 


But I did order white flannel sheets (my new memory foam mattress found its way to the Sierra after two weeks) and there are bronze reindeer (treasures from my dad), green and white candles in every room, the fireplace is cleaned, a storm is brewing, and on the wall a wooden cross that I made in my 11th grade wood shop class. (I am Catholic and my confirmation name is Theresa.) My faith in humanity takes me back in time growing up (attending mass Christmas morning) and to my  mom who cooked all day to serve us a holiday dinner, and always left ice cream balls out for Santa to eat.

Winter Snow Globes

  • 14 ounces all-natural ice cream (green tea or peppermint)
  • ½ cup shredded coconut
  • ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
  • ½ cup cashews, finely chopped
  • ½ cup white chocolate, melted
  • Small candles
Line a pan with parchment paper. Leave out a carton of ice cream until soft. Scoop out 1/2 cup round balls of ice cream and place on pan. Put in freezer for about 15 minutes till ice cream is semi-hard. Meanwhile, place coconut, nuts, and chocolate in bowls. Then dip each ball into preferred ingredients. Insert a candle in the center of each ball. Put each decorated ice cream globe onto one dish and back into the freezer. Serves 6. Garnish with fresh berries strawberries, and whipped cream or plain. These pair nicely with flavored coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Instead of old-fashioned ice cream snowballs, exotic flavors, such as green tea or sea salt caramel gelato sprinkled with a variety of nature’s finest nuts, gives this dessert a superb flavor with a crunch. Or try lemon ice cream or sorbet balls inside lemon halves.

No comments:

Post a Comment