Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ooops! A Continental Breakast With Hot Chocolate but No Croissants?





By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet



"Do you know on this one block you can buy croissants in five different places? There's one store called Bonjour Croissant. It makes me want to go to Paris and open up a store called Hello Toast.” -- Fran Lebowitz



I woke up this A.M. to the sound of rain--it's not real common at Lake Tahoe. Listening to the chirping birds right now is a sign to me that I didn't put together a politcally correct Continental breakfast. As I watched a fat squirrel munch on a pine cone it hit me. I forgot to include warm and fresh croissants!...


Sure, I went the route of simple and healthy. Two large brown scrambled eggs with grated cheddar cheese (yep, I shredded it myself) and organic 2% low-fat milk. One glass of premium orange juice fortified with vitamin D and calcium. (I'm trying to stay healthy and wise as a precaution if Swine flu makes its rounds here, a popular resort town in season or off season.) And I enjoyed a cup of MarieBelle TM hot chocolate spiked with French Roast coffee--it's rich gourmet chocolate (you can see the chocolate shavings).


But I forgot the croissants. So, today I will go on the hunt to find the best and most flakey, natural croissants. In September (after the galley for The Healing Powers of Chocolate is out of my hands and en route to New York), I vow to make them with dark chocolate--for the mere pleasure of it all. But now, the question remains: To swim or not to swim. It's still kind of gray skies and wet looking outdoors. I suppose it doesn't matter. Water is water. But croissants are croissants. And I won't forget next time around to include the European wonders in my Continental breakfast to make it feel like I'm on vacation at home.


P.S. I did eat the hot breakfast in the dining room/study with my two Brittanys, and in front of the fish aquarium (with pristine water and happy fish). And that is a fine earthy European-type memory to cherish--with or without chocolately French croissants.

1 comment:

  1. This blog post was picked up by a New York Website. Could it be the East Coast chocolate that caught their eyes or that I forgot the croissants? Oh, the other day I ended up getting a baker's dozen of fresh bagels--the garlic one with sesame seeds? Wow.

    ReplyDelete