Sunday, August 2, 2009

101 Doctors' 7 Secrets to Good Health


101 Doctors' Secrets to Good Health:
How Many Are You Following?
By Cal Orey

"The best doctors in the world are Doctor Diet, Doctor Quiet, and Doctor Merryman."
-- Jonathan Swift


It's Sunday--a day of rest, right? The writer's block is over but I decided I want a vacation. Sure, living at Lake Tahoe can be like a vacation year-round. The glitch is, if you're a Type-A author (a demanding go-getter which can raise your risk of heart disease) it's another task to relax...

Speaking of writing, this A.M. after a cup of java and a banana (I'm working on breakfast), in my cozy waterbed with the two Brittanys I glanced over at the nightstand and saw a copy of Doctors' Orders: What 101 Doctors Do to Stay Healthy. Yes, I penned it and interviewed all of 'em. (I was organizing yesterday during the "block" and found the tume.) I just picked it up and flipped to page 333 "A Final Word." The seven secrets...
Go ahead--check out these 7 guidelines that can put you on the doctors' track for life. Find out if you're following the healing experts' preventative strategies.

1. Eat a nutrient-dense diet chock-full of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. [Yep, this one I do. No worries. And quality dark chocolate--including hot chocolate with milk (iced chocolate drinks during the daytime in summer) soothes the body and soul.]

2. Avoid processed foods, sugar, and empty-calorie snacks. [Ditto. It's easy if you refer to #1.]

3. Include vitamins, minerals, and herbs to supplement your diet as needed to ensure you're getting adequate nutriton every day and to help prevent illness.
[I did do this during those pre-menopausal years because the holistic docs recommended me to do it. With a potential second round of Swine Flu following us this fall/winter I'm going to put this one on my list (again).]

4. Get preventative physical checkups to maintain your body functioning at its optimum best. [On Friday, I did make a dental appt. for the twice a year cleaning. Note: I love my Sonicare Toothbrush.]

5. Learn how to chill out and enjoy living a longer and healthier life. [Thanks to the recession #5 is tricky. But hey, the best things in life are free, right? And that includes good health.]

6. Exercise regularly to keep your body functioning its optimum best. [No problem. I wish I was a fish 24/7. Swimming almost daily and walking the pooches works for me. Treadmill is in the living room. (Note to self: Will start with Seth, the youngest dog. Soon. Watch "I Am Legend" scene with Will Smith and dog Sam on treadmill for inspiration or "The Dog Whisperer.")

7. Nourish your body, mind, and spirit each and every day. [I must work on the spiritual thing. Yoga? Meditation? [I need a new mantra. Looks like this may be another job for me. I want to find a more Bohemian-type lifestyle like I adopted in the 70s.]

Tally up. How did you do? My short list of things to do: Get a multi-vitamin supplement. Reschedule pap smear. I flaked due to writer's workload. Read the Doctors' Orders chapter on Type A and Type B (you are more calm and less hurried than Type A) Personalities so I can learn how to chill. Like I said, I need a vacation. Well, maybe a good swim at 1:00 P.M., taking the long route home for my fun-loving Type A -B dog(s) walk, and a savoring a soothing cup of gourmet hot chocolate tonight while watching a romantic chick flick will suffice for today. One more thing. I've got my new, improved mantra. Instead of "Fall" (it's coming) this works: "Chocolate. Chocolate. Chocolate."






4 comments:

  1. Are you practicing any of these 7 tips? Today, I purchased a whole grain cereal fortified with tons of nutrients; purchased a bar of luxury dark chocolate; postponed article till tomorrow (taking time to smell the words); and may even do the treadmill (for a few minutes with the pooch).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A study came out that kids aren't getting enough Vitamin D. I got all-natural orange juice fortified with both D and calcium. You can't taste it and rather get my nutrients from food than supplements, despite what the docs say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the junk food is a problem sometimes. Not that I go looking for it but it's those darn cans. Cooking for a couple dozen mouths keeps me on my toes. Even getting apples for the deer is a lot of work. I'm waiting to see my babies tonight. Last night the baby raccoons were inche from my head as I was laying at the door watching them. The babies really liked the milk I put out for them. Thing like that, being with my wildlife takes me away from this world where there is no stress. Animals don't hate but react. A smile and kindness goes a long way I've found out. Watching them all eat has change the way I look at food too. I'm eating a lot of fruit here, ripe off the trees room temperature. I can make a meal out of plums and cherries. Ranching does keep you fit that's for sure and there's never time to do nothing, yor always busy doing something. Sometimes stopping and observing is a good thing. Whether your planning something and listening to the birds fry through the trees, helping a deer get an apple down. That's calm, when the deer walk with you. They can see if your stressed or how your emotions are, if your not centered. You need balance in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get what you're saying about animals can see if you're centered or not. My dogs/cats are my docs and sense when I'm out of whack. They come to me. It's so cool.
    Canned food? 30 days without it and you won't go back. That's how long it takes to break a habit. I will eat canned tuna (sometimes) but that's it. Oh, if I'm sick with the flu, veggie low-sodium soup. But other than that, canned food is for Y2K Part Two.

    ReplyDelete