Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bagelwichtuna with an Olive Oil Touch





Bagelwichtuna with an Olive Oil Touch


By Cal Orey

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.

-- Henry David Thoreau


It is balmy, a bit cooler but still warm and still outdoors at Lake Tahoe. It makes me sense earthquake weather as I sit here with writer's block. And I don't feel like cooking or baking... My monthly Earth Changes column is due yesterday. And I still can't decide what topic to tackle for September. It seems like Mother Nature is back from vacation.

I'd love to go to the kitchen and create a Food Network-type gourmet meal but that's not in the cards today. It takes a clear head and lots of energy to put your heart and soul into making an elaborate entree or dessert. So, I'm thinking back to my grad school days. In the Student Union there was not only the Baked Potato Bar but in another area we had a Bagel Bar. And yep, that's where you could find me. Bagels of all types and you could order up a sandwich to fit your fancy.

Tonight that is exactly what I'm going to do. It's bagelwich time. Here's the quick, easy and healthy recipe for one (and a pinch for my beloved black cat Kerouac).


Bagelwichtuna

3 ounces tuna (Solid White Albacore In Water)
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. all-natural mayo
A few sliced red onions
2 tsp. sliced black olives (optional)
A few sliced tomatoes
1/4 cup sprouts
1/4 cup romaine or spinach lettuce
1 fresh sesame seed bagel
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
A dash of fresh ground pepper

Mix tuna with oil and mayo. Spread on a lightly toasted large bagel split in half. Top with lettuce, sprouts, tomatoes, and onions. Splash red wine vinegar and pepper to taste. The pickle is optional. (If you want to learn how to make your own pickles, I can take you there. In The Healing Powers of Vinegar (Kensington) on page 226 "Pickling Passion" and recipes follow including "Garden Dill Pickles" made with apple cider vinegar.)

Speaking of Mother Nature and fish...I just heard a thunder bolt. Another one. Another one. Here comes a thunderstorm. And fish? I don't want to go there. Two more of my goldfish died (again). Today, I had the aquarium water tested by the fish store expert in town and all is good. He gave me two freebies. What's up? Gosh, I used to write for Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine. It's raining. My new fish pair--one is orange and the other is white--are swimming. Life goes on...



1 comment:

  1. Q: How do you know you are suffering from writer's block?
    A: You do everything (i.e., filing, water the houseplants, wash the dog(s), clean the fridge, file, organize, surf the net, chase non-existent quakes) until the block is lifted.

    ReplyDelete