By Cal Orey
It was a late fall afternoon on December 9, 2024, when my big chill orange tabby Gatsby pawed at the door in the hallway. Actually, in hindsight he'd been visiting his new cat space for two days. Then, I reached for the cell phone as it vibrated on the chair. A sobering ShakeAlert notification blared ominously: an earthquake was coming!
Against the new earthquake safety rules, I instinctively bolted toward the dining room where my Hemingway-type wooden table stood strong like a friendly fortress against nature’s wrath. I dropped to the floor and covered my head with my arms, heart pounding like listening to a Phil Collins' drum solo. Then, the shaking started—strong rolling waves. Motion sickness hit. (I took a seasick pill before boarding a ferry to Catalina.) Once the tremor stopped it felt safe to log onto my computer. I was greeted with the epicenter and magnitude: A 5.8 at Yerington, Nevada; and reports were rolling in that the shallow quake had been felt in both Nevada and Northern California.
I naturally went to my go-to nature's chill pill. I quickly brewed a cup of chamomile drizzled with a bit of lavender honey. (Note to self: Drink bottled iced tea after a shaker because of potential aftershocks.) Calmer, though, thanks to the feel-good nature's Rx the queasiness stopped. Motto: If you want a quake warning, ask your cat! And honey is the best remedy for seasickness and calming the nerves. If you're looking for more adventure (and nature's remedies), you'll find it in The Healing Powers of Honey, Revised & Updated. A Bonus: The sensitive cat survived the earthquake; and has been graced with a new title: My Seismic Sentry.[Giveaway Link on Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/446428-the-healing-powers-of-honey-revised-and-updated-a-complete-guide-to-na ]
.png)

No comments:
Post a Comment