Saturday, September 3, 2022

Going North to Alaska 2.0 and Seattle -- But Things Are a Bit Different

I wrote this post Sunday, August 30, 2015...But today it's September 2022. Yes, I feel fall is coming but we're having an extreme heat wave throughout the Golden State. Nights are 76 degrees in the cabin -- not 35!. Days near the 90s! Booked to go north to Alaksa with the northern lights on my mind--not Canada...Alaska 2.0 and the PNW coming back home.  Fish aquarium in Seattle and taking a ferry to a special island will be the plan.

Since the pandemic I've only traveled once and that way last summer to flee the Caldor Fire. Three weeks away from South Lake Tahoe and not knowing if we would have a home to come back to. But the "what if it all works out" did happen. So, as I feel the high anxiety of the unknown, going north like I did in December 2019 through hurricane force winds with a possible divert to Fairbanks, it just may work out. Once again, it's time to fly out of my comfort zone. 

Pre-Autumn is Here at Lake Tahoe!

Aspens of Tahoe
By Cal Orey

Living in the Northern California sierras has its perks. One of them is that you can feel the oncoming seasonal change earlier than other places. The temps are beginning to get cooler in the mornings (35 degrees Monday morning, heater kicked on!) The pine needles are brown and falling right after you get them off the rooftop.  Flannel sheets have arrived but still at night the windows remain open. Caveat: Companion animals sleep on the bed and not floor...
It's coming. Fall is on its way. Baking and cooking is on my mind but I will wait a little bit longer as autumn begins to trickle into the mountains. That said, pre-fall cleaning is on my mind. The fridge, pantry (update and stock like a squirrel), and windows all need to be cleaned as well as the oven (a bit). It's that time and summer procrastination lingers. 

Today, the pool is closed (I did break and go to the outdoor one). But soon it's time to make way to resort swimming pool because shoulder season is right around the corner. One more holiday madness day is coming up: Labor Day Weekend. Then, it's celebration time. Quietude permeates the Sierra...


Amtrak 1 way; glorified bus the other
Hotel is booked
Will revisit  Seattle after Canadian Coffee & Tea Show
Seattle/British Columbia So why am I booking a trip to the Pacific Northwest? Because I was invited to the Canadian Coffee and Tea Convention. I couldn't say no. It's a B-Day present to me as a work-fun trip and a fairly short one at that. I haven't told the boys yet...but the kennel, sibling know mom is going north one more time for the coffee, tea, environment, and boost of endorphins from going away and out of my comfort zone.
Here I sit getting ready to book the Seattle rooms for the first night of arrival and last night and then done. I wait. 

The upside: Courtesy press pass to the event; US dollar means great deals in Canada; I have my autumn clothes; chipped molar will be done; I will network with tea people and revisit an awesome hotel in Vancouver (another invite) for tea and scones. I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment