Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Canada Is Opening Up Its Borders Again!

Going to Eastern Canada...

Memories of Victoria Linger...when I traveled to Toronto, Ontario in the Spring of 2019. On October 1, 2022 (Post-Pandemic Era iCanada is now sharing it's open to travelers from America without any Covid-19 rules!) My Great Grandma was born in Toronto and I have a history of traveling there.

By Cal Orey

Soon, I'll be packing my bags (okay, they're packed since the last trip that was canceled at the eleventh hour). I will be leaving on a jet plane to Ontario, Canada. While I'm excited to revisit the region I once hitchhiked to with a dog, I still am fond of Western Canada...Here's why...

Twice when I was visiting Vancouver, British Columbia, I was smitten by the warmth and airy ambiance of tearooms, fresh, warm scones with clotted cream and tea--genuine deliciousness. This recipe is straight from the prestigious Vancouver Fairmont Hotel's chef and and place where I feel like a princess when sipping tea and savoring a fresh, warm scone. (Raisin Scones recipe, page 16, The Healing Powers of Tea)  

At Victoria, I didn't have scones or need the "tearoom experience" as I tried to tell the restaurant servers--after all, I wrote the book on it!  (But I did enjoy cool, creamy homemade gelato and iced tea, found at a small indoor shop on a corner while strolling on the streets and talking to an elderly couple from the UK whom made me feel at home.) And, at the popular Fairmont tearoom on the island. I savored two cups of  white tea (it was calming and refreshing), a garden salad with heirloom tomatoes drizzled with an olive oil and vinegar dressing. Not to forget the semi-adventurous boat tour of The Gorge.  Note to self: Go on whale tour next time and experience swells and sea life. 
Funny, I was hoping for a few waves and choppy water but none happened--smooth sailing as was the flight to and from the island. (This surprised me since it was my fear to take the small CRJ700 but it was a nice flight, no cloud cover.)  We did see one sea creature, a few swimmers... the history of the water inlet was fascinating as was the guide, much like trying a new type of tea. Swimming each morning (the pool was all mine), followed by a soak in the adjoining hot tub, drinking bottled water--and tea day, afternoon, and nighttime was bliss. 
The island shuts down early, it was the most calming Canada trip I've taken and romantic memories linger when sipping a fave cup of tea. I happily share my tea tales of on the road and visiting tearooms, sipping teas--all types, and enjoying inspired travels that I recreated in recipes for both The Healing Powers of Tea and The Healing Powers of Honey.  

On the Road Again--Gerbil Escapes Cabin
Tea and Tub Time?
Oh yeah!
While I got my fill of tea and scones in Western Canada, tea will be part of my journey.  I'm sure tea will be available in Eastern Canada--and a tea device is certain to be in my hotel room. Yes, I'm bringing my own stash of chamomile.
Thinking about bringing home those unforgettable maple syrup cookies and/or a maple leaf tattoo. Not to forget visiting the Ripley's Aquarium and more water explorations, including a salt water swimming pool and soaker tub! Yep, water is part of this trip, as always. Boat adventure? I suppose it depends on the weather and waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment