Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Leaving Tahoe to Canada for the 4th of July was Heaven

 By Cal Orey

This year there is no escaping the Heat Wave. We're dealing with covid variants so getting on a jet plane is still on hold until November. Alaska. Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to begin restructuring a fascinating novel...but the heat is anything but intriguing. Tourists will be here for the fourth and I'm creating oasis by oasis to try and retreat from all the chaos. Note to self: Fix stereo earphones.  But a couple of years ago, I did flee to sweet Canada (the borders are still closed) and the long trek was worth it...

This time of year at the grocery store seeing watermelons is a common sight. While this red melon (usually with seeds) is not my favorite fruit—it is a summertime favorite. I caved and tossed a small watermelon into the cart next to other seasonal fresh fruit. A watermelon fruit salad can make this no-cook food something to love...
Last week I did flee the Langolier-type tourist invasion, ending up in Victoria, British Columbia--a beautiful, calm retreat. 

One treat of the hotel I stayed at was a breakfast buffet in the concierge room. I recall seeing fresh pieces of a variety of summer fruit including pineapple, green apples, oranges, and watermelon. While I didn’t include them on my plate with a croissant, scrambled eggs, orange juice, and a large cup of coffee—I do remember the bright red chunks but it was the green apples I took back to my room for snacks. 


Actually it wasn’t the fresh fruit that wowed me as much as the room with a view overlooking Victoria Harbour. I did bond with a seal at Victoria Pier. I experienced plenty of shops and eateries, boats and house boats, all full of charm. One of my goals for this adventure was to smell sea air, go on a boat ride, and bond with a seal like I used to do in San Francisco. After a pool swim in the morning, I strolled on the pier in search of seal. Almost immediately my eyes met with one single marine mammal in the water. It swam inland right up to me as if to say, “Hello! Welcome to Victoria.” I said, “Hey! What a good boy!” Once the seal was close to me (and the tourists could see clearly it was swimming in my direction) I snapped a photo or two and felt an instant connection to Mother Nature’s creature and Canada’s water.

Watermelon Summertime Salad Bowl
* * *
1 mini round seedless watermelon
Assorted fruit, 2 cups watermelon chunks, ½ cup each of sliced strawberries, orange slices, apple chunks, and peaches
2 tablespoons raw honey (local)                            
1 lemon, juice  
Cinnamon, nutmeg to taste

Using a sharp knife, slice a thick slice from bottom of watermelon to make a flat base so the melon will lie nicely on a large dish. Slice the melon in half. Scoop out melon of one half. Slice it like a checkerboard. Make horizontal and vertical cuts for watermelon square chunks. Scoop fruit out and place in a bowl, add other fruit. (It works well with kiwi, grapes and other melons.) Mix in honey, lemon, and spices. Cover and chill in refrigerator. Serve in bowls and top with Greek yogurt or gelato. Serves 6-8. 

This watermelon fruit salad is easy on the eyes and good for you, too. Watermelon is low in fat and calories, plus it provides some nutrients, including vitamin C and disease-fighting antioxidants. A watermelon salad like this one makes a super centerpiece for a picnic outdoors, brunch, or after dinner dessert. It’s easy to make and will help you chill, and give you time to enjoy the water at Lake Tahoe or escape to British Columbia's waters during our heat wave. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment