Saturday, March 17, 2018

Barnes and Noble Signing--Author's Trek in Snowstorm (March 17, Saint Patrick's Day)

By Cal Orey

Today, on March 17, Saint Patrick's Day I took a leap of faith and drove over the mountain in the sierras to attend a Barnes and Noble book signing in Reno --after shoveling snow in the morning.

Yes, the roads were icy, roads not groomed, a bit crowded on the way out of Lake Tahoe (drivers coming into town despite reports advising to no drive) and sci-fi spooky. 

Regrets of not doing a will for the Siamese kitty in my life hit while driving on the winding road--both ways. An adventure without The Rock to rescue us. Images of the author in the film "Misery" came to mind. But no, I did not crash and slide off a ravine. (I even packed blankets, survival food, and water just in case!)

Due to the highly contagious canine flu, my Aussie couldn't be kenneled and got his first shot. As we wait for the booster shot the dog was in tow to Reno. A bit of another challenge once it began to snow. Feeling like characters in the "Contagion" movie the trek was made... had to keep my canine in a bubble, sort of. This made me nervous. I didn't want to leave the dog in the car. (It was cold, canine flu is an issue, it didn't seem humane, me selling books and dog left to suffer.)

On the upside, the TEA books sold out--a few days ahead without me--the author. So I was on a mission to replenish with more books since the weekend was nearing.  But the dog outside in the snow flurry bothered me. Pet sitters weren't an option; kennel was not opening doors until shot takes effect. Stuck. What's a dog-loving, hardworking author to do? I stayed for an hour...but if the books sold on their own I sensed more would sell. The challenging elements--snow and dog won. 

Another storm is on its way, more rain than white powder, before Spring arrives next week.  Once back home, I made a fire, brewed a fresh cup of tea, cuddled on the sofa with puppy awaiting one more flu shot booster. Another day in the life of the Healing Powers Series author.

No comments:

Post a Comment