Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chillin with Chocolate 'N' Pumpkin Ice Cream


By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet
"It is not the strongest pumpkin grower that survives, not the most intelligent, but the grower most responsive to change."--- Charles Darwin, Theory of Pumpkin Evolution

Sweet Sunday. Today the happy tourists should be traveling back home. That means my fave resort swimming pool will be full with less than more people. Translation: It looks like happiness is coming my way. Another thing that makes me smile is ice cream. Even better is pumpkin ice cream. A few years ago, at Lake Tahoe we had a 31 Flavors--a place I'd frequent and ask "Do you have pumpkin ice cream yet?" So, you can imagine how I felt when our ice cream store closed shop. But before Thanksgiving I saw pumpkin ice cream at our grocery store and it was a pleasant surprise...
The other night I topped a scoop of the ice cream with 70% cacao chocolate chips. Wow. You've got to try this team. The creamy and crunchy texture is perfect. And the chocolate? Well, dark chocolate contains monounsaturated fat and it can help to fill you up not out like olive oil and nuts if and if you do not over indulge. Quality and moderation are the secrets. (White chocolate can work and you'll get some extra calcium.)
Another secret? The
regular pumpkin ice cream complete with those warming, earthy autumn spices was AWOL but I snagged the Dreyer's Light Slow Churned Rich & Creamy stuff. (It promises 50% less fat and 30% less calories.) I hesitated but with the holiday foods it seemed like it was good timing.) It works for me. And I discovered Dreyer's also makes a Hot Chocolate flavor but it's not here in the Lake Tahoe Basin. How sad is that? It's time for that swim and the dog walk is on the agenda. Yeah, I'm just chillin all day long.

1 comment:

  1. Update: Kids are still here...That oh-so wanted swim is on hold till tomorrow. Guess it's the long walk and doggie/human treadmill? Where oh where is that pumpkin ice cream. Such is the life living in a tourist town.

    ReplyDelete