Thursday, May 20, 2021

Did the author go to Alaska? Find out in the NEW book on Herbs and Spices! + A New Surprise!

 By Cal Orey

UPDATE: This morning I did it. I booked a flight to go to Anchorage, Alaska. Yep, this November if we get more of a sense of normalcy I'm spreading my wings and going north to Alaska. How many times can I watch "The Call of the Wild"? I will miss my Australian Shepherd and Siamese kitty but the Northern Lights, a moose, and tour (hopefully for one) is calling out to me...

 Did I go to Anchorage? Did I taste Alaskan salmon with fresh thyme?  Find out in the adventurous stories behind that trip (and Dr. Will Clower's tales about sailing around the world and savoring seasonings) in my new book release (December, ready for release). 

I penned this blog post a few years ago. Funny, how things don't always go to plan. I canceled the Alaska trip twice: Once was due to the 100 mph rare storm; second a 7.0 earthquake. So, booked again. I did end up going to Ontario, Canada and it was a bumpy ride which I'll touch on in the new book I'm completing. 

Today, I am home with my family. It's a low-key celebration. Plenty of B-day wishes on FB that make me feel, uh, appreciated.  Baking apple spice scones. Working on book #9 (Healing Powers Series). And cuddling with my beloved Aussie and Zen cat makes me happy. I have Alaska to look forward to (a gift from the airline)--and a new book release coming up in December. Gratitude. 

For the past few years, as the Healing Powers series author traveling for research (for new stories to share) to book signings, I've had a love affair with Eastern and Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest. With some flight miles saved I knew I was going to go somewhere in the early fall for a getaway, my birthday, and to celebrate the completion of my book on tea. 
At first, it looked like Cleveland and Ontario, Canada was the destination. But then it just didn't seem to be my fantasy because it would take light years and small aircraft to get across the border.  And I waited...

I sent a message to the Barnes and Noble bookstore manager in Anchorage, Alaska, mentioning my the release of my new book The Healing Powers of Vinegar, 3rd edition. After all, it was my sibling who said: "Why don't you go somewhere cool, different--like Alaska?" I waited for a response. But the days turned into a week, two weeks. I assumed it was a no go. 


Then, one day while retrieving e-mails, there was one message--not the Barnes and Noble from Cleveland (I passed) with the words in the subject title "Anchorage, Alaska." I opened it like a Christmas present. The rest is history. I accepted the invitation for a book signing. I booked a flight. I booked a hotel room. I booked a nature tour. But it tanked due to the superstorm and superquake. 

The bottom line: Third attempt. I am booked again for Alaska this year.  It's one dream ready to come true. But the question remains: Who is going to break the news to my Aussie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment