Thursday, June 8, 2017

Super Vegetables and Tea 21st Century-Style

Summer is on its way and lighter eating is part of seasonal change.  Going back in time a decade ago, at Safeway when I used to gaze at frozen packaged Stuffed Peppers, an American dish, filled with ground beef, white rice, and tomato sauce.  It took me back to when I was a kid and enjoyed my mom’s Porcupine Meatballs (the Stuffed Bell peppers were for the grown-ups).  Nowadays, going meatless and eating more vegetables is gaining momentum for me—and perhaps you, too.

Years ago, my mode of exercise on the South Shore would be to walk to foodie hot spots.  I’d treat myself to cold lemonade and hot French fries.  One afternoon while I sipped the beverage, I waited for a to-go order of fries. The server didn’t give me a strange look. She took my light order despite people were eating meals.  I happily left with my box of taters which I nibbled on during my trek with a get lean mission. Now, I eat first and my go dog walks me after.



Porcupine-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
* * *
1 1/2 cups brown or yellow rice, cooked (try wild rice but it is high in sodium)
2 bell peppers, red or yellow
2 tablespoons European style butter or olive oil
2 tablespoons yellow or red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
3-4 tablespoons green bell pepper, chopped
¼ cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Black Tea is Healthy
In a pan, cook rice according to instructions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt butter or oil, sauté onion. garlic, and peppers. Add into cooked rice. Set aside. In a microwave dish with a half inch of water put two sliced, seeded peppers. Microwave about 1 minute. Remove and stuff rice mixture. Top with tomatoes. (You can use large tomatoes instead of peppers if you preferred.) Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Makes 2. Serve with a fresh baguette slices dipped in olive oil. A cupful of green and purple grapes is a nice sweet dessert to add.
These stuffed peppers can be savored for lunch or dinner. For me, I ate one hot out of the oven for a light dinner, and the next day, cold leftovers one for lunch.  These days, I prefer eating grains and vegetables during the warmer weather.  Pairing it with black tea, fresh lemons, and less than more sugar is an acquired taste but a healthier choice. Home-style stuffed peppers and chilled brew will provide you with refreshment.  It’s worth the effort to put it together in the comfort of your home and you’ll enjoy the energy boost to go do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment