Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Sweetest Pancakes for Your Heart







Oat Bran Pancakes with a
Taste of Olive Oil & Dark Chocolate
By Cal Orey
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

--Lewis Carroll

Tonight I'm regrouping after an "Armageddon"-type week, which I'm sure was mean t0 my heart... But the blood pressure is down to almost normal, at last. On the bright side of life, the laptop computer is fixed. Simon survived the "Spoiled Food Drama." The fish aquariums are clean filled with big, happy fish. And I am getting used to the cold water in the new swimming pool (coping with no posh hot tub) till Lake Tahoe tourists go home after Labor Day. My mantra is "fall, fall, fall."
Right now, I'm trying to tune out the possibility of a double dip recession; a dear friend's hospital test results after a scary fall; a teeth cleaning for me (and Simon); the dreaded woman's deed "a pap smear"; and more news on the news TV channels. "Fall, fall, fall..."
The perfect Rx? I've got heart healthy pancakes on my mind. Tomorrow morning I will get up and start fresh. After a cup of French Roast coffee (with a splash of heart healthy organic milk), I'll hug and feed my pooches (good for the heart and soul), and whip up batch of pancakes.
The ingredients? Oat bran, olive oil, and dark chocolate are all good for your heart healthy lifestyle (no trans fats, low-cal, calcium, and iron; a bit high in sodium but more fruit and veggies throughout the day will balance it out).
The bottom line: Pancakes are a must-have when life's unpredictable punches are tossed on overdrive our way. But sweet pancakes and dark chocolate are good for both the heart and spirit. (Sure, it's best if your sweetie makes 'em for you and serves you in bed.) But hey, life isn't always perfect. I'll settle for savoring these sweet cakes in bed with my affectionate black cat, Kerouac, followed by a good dog walk and good swim. Thank God for pancakes.
Callie's Oat Bran Chocolate Chip Pancakes
1 cup low fat oat bran pancake mix
2/3 cup bottled water
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, 60-70% cacoa
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Mix 1 cup of low fat oat bran pancake mix with 2/3 cold bottled water. Let batter thicken for few minutes. Stir chocolate chips into batter. Pour about 1/2 cup batter per pancake onto an olive oil greased frying pan or griddle. Medium heat is good to go. Cook pancakes till golden brown per side. Hold the butter. Top with syrup and fresh strawberries or blueberries.





























No comments:

Post a Comment