Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Best Seller #1 Banner in Chocolate Dessert Making: The Healing Powers of Chocolate

 By Cal Orey

Best Sellers in Chocolate Dessert Making

Welcome to sweet old-fashioned S'mores. These graham cracker sandwiches are traditionally toasted over a campfire. Or a marshmallow, held by a metal skewer, can be heated over a firepit until the white puff it is light brown. Then, you place the toasted marshmallow on a cracker with a square of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars and top it with another cracker.

As history goes, S’mores graham cracker marshmallow chocolate sweet treats were a popular Girl Scout deal back in the Sixties. Often, they were made over a bonfire and included singing campfire songs and sharing spooky stories.

In the 21st century, on the South Shore of Tahoe, I was invited by a neighbor to a bar-b-que. This party was a semi-disaster. I’m a vegetarian so the burgers and hot dogs theme fizzled. And when I brought a big bag of marshmallows the host turned her nose up at my sweet gift. She mumbled, “I don’t like those puffy things.” I darted, “Everyone loves roasted marshmallows!” And the bickering escalated. So, I took my unwanted bag of marshmallows back home. Then, I resorted to cooking an indoor variety of traditional S’mores. I enjoyed my warm goodies in the company of my dog and cat; and watched the Hallmark Channel movie where everyone ends up happy.

Fast forward more than a decade later. This time around, I have updated a healthier version of S’mores.

21st Century S’mores

Dark chocolate squares (I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Caramel Squares.)

Graham crackers (I used the whole grain, low-fat cinnamon Honey Maid brand. Try Honey Maid made with real honey.)

Marshmallows (I used the traditional type at the grocery store; but you can purchase online all-natural vegan type without any artificial ingredients. Or try toasted coconut marshmallows.)

Add-ons: Nuts (walnuts or almonds, chopped), cayenne pepper, ground (optional), mint sprigs *More herb-alicious ideas in the new book The Healing Powers of Herbs and Spices: Timeless Treasures

Indoor Version: While S’mores is traditionally toasted over a smoky, open flame outdoors, this favorite treat can be made another way, too. Each cracker can be topped with chocolate, one marshmallow, then put into a flat pan and under the broiler for both the chocolate marshmallow to brown and melt.


You can also pop a graham cracker open face topped with chocolate and a single marshmallow in the microwave for a few seconds until it is warm and gooey. Place the two crackers together. Other ways to make it inside the comfort of your home include: The cracker sandwiches can also be made by roasting a marshmallow on a metal skewer over the flame of a wood-burning fireplace or open fireplace, a stovetops flame, in a microwave or with a s'mores-making kit. *If roasted outdoors, the graham cracker sandwich can be wrapped in a piece of foil.

The Healing Powers of Chocolate (Healing Powers Series) Kindle Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment