Friday, October 5, 2012

Author-Cal Orey's 10-6 Birthday Bundt Cake Plus

By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet


  It's My Birthday and I'll Bake My Cake
A few years ago, after attending my book signing at Barnes and Noble downtown, I ended up in Seattle at Pike’s Peek Farmer’s Market (the place Starbucks opened its doors) which has the strong flavor of San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf.  With a double mocha latte from the famed coffee company, I strolled and felt the caffeine buzz which helped me go on the quest for the perfect sweatshirt and key chain with a Brittany, my choice of dog. Enjoying sights of fish, fruit, flowers, and strangers was bliss (it had to be the caffeine fix). 
I could have joined people after the book lecture/signing, but there was something special about savoring a day with me and Joe, from the first thing in the morning to that afternoon, that made my Washington trip a comforting and invigorating trip... And today, I realize tomorrow I am going to play the hermitess role again and celebrate my birthday -- a milestone one -- alone but with my four-leggers.
While gourmet coffee and desserts are perfect for anytime, it’s even more decadent for a birthday treat. This year, while boxes of chocolates and bags of coffee aren't on my doorstep as they were during the research of The Healing Powers of Chocolate and The Healing Powers of Coffee books, I've decided to bake a special birthday cake that charms me and will make me feel good.  And, the best part is, I helped get both my beloved youngest Brittany and Siamese cat well again to join my eldest Brittany--my companion animal trio. That's the best birthday present and mountain woman (city girl at heart) could ask for.

Cappuccino-Chocolate Chip-Fruit Bundt Cake
* * *
1 premium yellow cake mix                                       
3 large brown eggs
2/3 cup water                                                             
2/3 cup organic 2% low-fat milk
3 tablespoons European style butter, melted         
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup cappuccino chips (King Arthur)                  
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (for dusting pan)
Extra virgin olive oil (for greasing pan)

GARNISH
Confectioners’ sugar                                                 
½ cup fresh strawberries, whole with stems

In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, beaten, liquid ingredients, and butter.  Stir a few minutes till smooth. Fold in 2 cups of chips. Lightly grease tube pan with butter and dust with flour. Pour in batter and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. (Put knife in and if it comes out clean, it’s cake.) Cool. Use a knife to loosen the cake from the pan and turn over on a plate. Sprinkle sugar on top. Place ½ cup fresh berries or berries in the middle. Serves 10.
Excerpt from The Healing Powers of Coffee

1 comment:

  1. Cal...I didn't know you were in Seattle...not sure how I missed that and the entire book signing thing...glad to hear the animals are doing well again...
    I guess I need to get on the Barns & Noble list...

    ReplyDelete