Sunday, June 14, 2009

21st Century Homemade Gourmet Granola with EVOO


Gourmet Granola is Groovy

"You can't go home again."

--Thomas Wolfe




Wow. I took a trip today and went back to the seventies when I used to make my own granola. Yeah, those were the good old days. In my early 20s, I used to bake a lot. Picture this: I was clad in blue jean overalls, sleeveless T-shirt, long curly locks, tanned, and barefoot. My pooch at the time was Stonefox, a beloved black Labrador retriever.

And, we were wanderlusts. I made homemade healthy granola in Eugene, Oregon to Hollywood, California. I took it with me when we hitched and hiked across America--including the Greenwich Village, Florida Keys, Quebec Canada, Wyoming, Idaho, and even south of the border to Mexico. I remember when I was in the Deep South asking for yogurt to go with my granola. It didn't go over well. Grits was the breakfast of choice. I was tagged a wayward West Coast longhaired post sixties "hippie chick." Yep, I was one more free spirit on the road with a dog experiencing life and humming those Simon and Garfunkel lyrics "Feelin' Groovy".

These days, I'm still a tree hugging hippie girl at heart. Today, I was wearing blue jeans, a T-shirt, and barefoot in the kitchen. Two Brittanys stayed underfoot as I concocted a high quality granola complete with olive oil and pricey maple syrup. The best part: The homemade, warm out of the oven and sweet scent of the wholesome granola (without any chemicals, preservatives, salt or long cat tail words I can't pronounce) made me smile today like it did more than 30 years ago.


So, tomorrow morning I'll mix the crunchy granola with healthy all-natural plain yogurt and fresh fruit. Instead of hitching a ride though, I will be in my own private sanctuary surrounded by pine trees, with my two dogs fed all-natural premium food, and eager for their walks (on leashes). Times are a changin' but some things stay the same, they just get better--like gourmet granola. And that's groovy.



Homemade Gourmet Granola

2 cups rolled oats, uncooked
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup almonds, sliced
Dash of ground cinnamon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup raw honey, warm in microwave
1/4 cup pure all-natural maple
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup raisins (add after cooked)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Mix the mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle the wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix well. Put mixture into a baking dish. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add dried raisins after you put in container for storage. Cool for an hour. The granola will become chewy, crispy clusters--even more than store bought brands. Store in the refrigerator.

3 comments:

  1. Note: due to the high altitude I turned up the oven to 350 degrees for the latter part of baking. Also, next time around -- cranberries are a must include. Almost tossed in the 60% cocoa content chocolate chips but decided against it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granola Getaways recipes will usually cost you less and be healthier than prepackaged granolas available from grocery and health food stores.

    Healthy Granola Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Great Article…this blog is nice and very informative.

    ReplyDelete