Thursday, June 18, 2009

Forget Olive Oil! Spoon Up "Forbidden" Foods


Dish Up Two Scoops of

French Vanilla Ice Cream & Dark Chocolate



"You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream."-- American Proverb



Today is Thursday and I am overwhelmed with fact-checking my forthcoming book on chocolate--a sequel to The Healing Powers of Olive Oil. I confess that calling some chocolatiers was fun, especially since a few are sending me those incredible packages of gourmet chocolate. It's one of the perks of this particular tome I'm polishing.


But work is work and proofing prose--chocolate or not--takes time and lots of energy--both physical and mental oomph. So, this afternoon I took a break and opened up a brand new carton of French Vanilla real ice cream. Ingredients: milk, cream, egg yolks, natural flavor...Without guilt, I dished up a scoop of cold, creamy ice cream into a bowl and topped the ice cream with Ghirardelli's 60% cacoa bittersweet chocolate chips. It was an experiment to see if it tasted as good as the ready-made stuff already mixed together.


What's more, my good fatty concoction was without a lot of artery-clogging trans fat. I did get some calcium, iron, protein, and vitamin A without a lot of sodium and the serving size didn't go on calorie overload. It felt like going to a posh ice cream parlor in Marin, California (where I recall eating Italian chocolate chip ice cream) and it was almost as good right here at Lake Tahoe. And now it's time to hit the book (again). Yowwwl!

No comments:

Post a Comment