Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chill Out with a Real Strawberry Milkshake


CRAVING A REAL HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKE




It's Saturday at Lake Tahoe and the tourists are here. I feel it. I am stuck indoors (there is a nip in the air) editing the big, big chocolate book. Read: I am chocolated out. Worse, yesterday morning my modem broke.

The good news is, the cable guy just left. Yes. Yes. Yes. He fixed it. I predicted that was the problem. It wasn't rocket science. The green lights were quirky. And a red light flashed off and on or maybe it was just my imagination because I was craving something strawberry to eat to soothe my frazzled nerves as I was out of touch with the cyberworld and on deadline without a computer.

During the stress of not having a working computer for 24 hours was an eye-opening experience. I resorted to doing many edits in long hand. I couldn't respond to emails. I couldn't see what Mother Nature was doing on the USGS map. And it wasn't fun. I lied. It was kind of like a mini vacation.

All through the ordeal I was craving a real homemade strawberry milkshake. I am clueless to why (probably it's the milk which can and does help to calm our nerves) but I finally got my shake with all the fixings. And no, The Healing Powers of Vinegar didn't come into play this time around.

Callie's Comfort Strawberry Milkshake


Several fresh organic strawberries, sliced

1/2 cup 2% reduced fat organic fat milk

1 cup French vanilla all natural ice cream

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1/8 teaspoon all natural maple syrup

Real whipped cream

Almonds, sliced



Put ingredients into blender, mix until thick and creamy. Pour into a milkshake glass and top with a dallop of real whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with almonds.


So, I got protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, phosphorus from the milk; more calcium and protein from the ice cream. And the strawberries--rich in the anti-stress, immune-boosting vitamin C and fiber. The best part is, I feel better. It was a healthy treat. Now, if I could only find a sweet, red-headed gourmet ghost copyeditor to help me get through the edits, one by one. I guess my two orange and white Brittanys will have to do.

P.S. My editing stress must be contagious. I just caught Seth, my 3 year old Brit, with an apple in his mouth. Not good. Is there a dogsitter out there? Help. I can't afford The Dog Whisperer.

No comments:

Post a Comment