Monday, December 24, 2018

Going to Eastern Canada...Memories of Victoria Linger

By Cal Orey

Soon, I'll be packing my bags and leaving on a jet plane to Ontario, Canada. While I'm excited to revisit the region I once hitchhiked to with a dog, I still am fond of Western Canada...Here's why...

Twice when I was visiting Vancouver, British Columbia, I was smitten by the warmth and airy ambiance of tearooms, fresh, warm scones with clotted cream and tea--genuine deliciousness. This recipe is straight from the prestigious Vancouver Fairmont Hotel's chef and and place where I feel like a princess when sipping tea and savoring a fresh, warm scone. (Raisin Scones recipe, page 16, The Healing Powers of Tea)  
At Victoria, I didn't have scones or need the "tearoom experience" as I tried to tell the restaurant servers--after all, I wrote the book on it!  (But I did enjoy cool, creamy homemade gelato and iced tea, found at a small indoor shop on a corner while strolling on the streets and talking to an elderly couple from the UK whom made me feel at home.) And, at the popular Fairmont tearoom on the island. I savored two cups of  white tea (it was calming and refreshing), a garden salad with heirloom tomatoes drizzled with an olive oil and vinegar dressing. Not to forget the semi-adventurous boat tour of The Gorge.  Note to self: Go on whale tour next time and experience swells and sea life. 
Funny, I was hoping for a few waves and choppy water but none happened--smooth sailing as was the flight to and from the island. (This surprised me since it was my fear to take the small CRJ700 but it was a nice flight, no cloud cover.)  We did see one sea creature, a few swimmers... the history of the water inlet was fascinating as was the guide, much like trying a new type of tea. Swimming each morning (the pool was all mine), followed by a soak in the adjoining hot tub, drinking bottled water--and tea day, afternoon, and nighttime was bliss. 
The island shuts down early, it was the most calming Canada trip I've taken and romantic memories linger when sipping a fave cup of tea. I happily share my tea tales of on the road and visiting tearooms, sipping teas--all types, and enjoying inspired travels that I recreated in recipes for both The Healing Powers of Tea andThe Healing Powers of Honey.  

Wellness in a Cup—Discover the Benefits of Tea for Your Body and Mind!
It picks you up and calms you down, warms you and refreshes you. With black, white, red, green, and herbal varieties, there’s a tea for every taste, and now this time-honored superfood is trending as the drink of choice for health-conscious people of all ages and cultures.
Enjoy comforting and tea-licious recipes like Warm Scones with Jam and Devonshire Cream, Assorted Finger Sandwiches, Scrumptious White Tea Scallops, and Russian Tea Cookies paired with the perfect brew – hot or iced.
Better health isn't just a sip away. With The Healing Powers of Tea (sweetened with lively stories) you’ll learn the hottest tips to improve your health...
Paired with the new gift size book The Healing Powers of Honey, you'll have more recipes for scones, biscotti, tea cookies, and cooking scrumptious dishes like Honey Glazed Cornish Game Hens and Sweet Potato Pie, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment