Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sweet September for Author

In Tea research mode
By Cal Orey
September is National Honey Month! 

I did it. I survived living in a tourist town during the summer. It's not that I don't adore the season of warmth and fresh produce, but when the human invasion hits it's a bit over the top. Stores, pools, beaches, roads, and dog trails are filled with strangers often acting out and unruly. Peace of mind is a thing of the past. But now we are entering "shoulder season" or "off season"--and I'm doing my happy dance.

Translation: I can hit the pools and swim solo. Going to the grocery store is a joy as is the movies, walking the dogs, and even going to the Lake. It's quiet. It's serene. It's heavenly. Ironically, next month during this blissful time I'll be leaving to go to the Pacific Northwest. Actually, I fell into this trip.
It's a challenge to leave my fur kids



B.C. I'm coming to you
Add up saved flight miles, a Canadian coffee and tea show, an invite for tea and scones at one of Vancouver, British Columbia's finest hotels, the odds of upgrading an awesome hotel room, my senior dog passed his titre test, and my chipped molar will be final before I leave on that jet plane (or more). It's destiny.

Tomorrow, my editor wants me to write a story on El Nino. I'm dreading this a bit like that because I don't want to think of what may happen en route. But it should be warmer than colder thanks to "the blob" in the Pacific Ocean. And then there's always the Cascadia Subduction Zone and its overdue subduction earthquake. But hey, a big shaker could happen in the Sierra, too. We did have a 4.7 (downgraded to a 4.0) the other day and felt at Lake Tahoe.


Seattle next month
Honey in your tea? Find out best pairings
So my plans are made, for the most part. I haven't told the dogs that mommy is going away for a short spell. But they will survive. I've been getting my ducks in a row...looking at tea exhibitors to talk to; ready to take in four sessions on tea; savoring tea to inspire me cooking/baking tea-infused recipes when I return home. And so it's in stone--almost that I'll be
going back to Canada once again.  It calls for a cup of tea and homemade scones.

And until I depart for another adventure, spreading the news about The Healing Powers of Honey and new mass market edition of The Healing Powers of Olive Oil, and awaiting queries for the 3rd edition of The Healing Powers of Vinegar will be on my plate. Meanwhile, I have a pantry full of teas-white, black, herbal--and am eager to discover each and every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment