Friday, November 28, 2014

How to Blast Belly Fat The Day After Turkey Day Diet

Former Diet and Nutrition writer for Woman's World
Pounds Off article cover story every week
Blast Belly Fat the Day After Turkey Day
By Cal Orey

This is Thanksgiving and I’m feeling it, sort of.  It’s a national holiday in America known for religious celebrations and a classic meal including a turkey. This day goes back to harvest time celebrated by the Pilgrims centuries ago on the last Thursday in November.
Instead of following tradition, I’m breaking away and doing my own thing in the kitchen for my mind, body, and spirit.

I’ve included turkey-for you--since I’m a vegetarian (a sometimes vegan).  So, it’s special leftovers that I’m dishing up for Callie’s cabin. Nope, there will be no Cranberry-Orange Cupcakes, no pumpkin pie, forget hens and cheesecake didn’t make it to the party either. But I do have some good-for-you dishes that’ll fill you up, not out.
Get a move to burn calories.
still fit in size 4 skinny jeans

Diet Tips with Coffee, Vinegar and Honey

Boost your calorie-burning power by:
* Drink a large cup of coffee in the a.m.
* Have an orange
* Before lunch try a Tbs. of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp. honey with a cup of herbal tea
* Savor the turkey leftover lunch
* Drink a a cup of tea with vinegar before 
dinner: turkey, salad, fresh fruit
* Do not eat after 7 p.m.
* Drink fresh water and herbal tea throughout the day


Several years ago on the South Shore, rather than dine out, I went to work in the kitchen. I created delicious Mediterranean-style appetizers with, a honey-glazed pricey all natural big bird, two types of stuffing, mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, cookies, and two pies. After the feast for me, family, and friends—I laid down on the couch and played possum. Some folks stared at me and darted: “Are you okay?” Others laughed.  My sibling pointed at me and shook his head, “You don’t look so good.” I mumbled, “I ate the whole thing.” But I survived.

In retrospect, I realize that my fave time of Thanksgiving dinner is the day after. As a kid I anticipated hitting the fridge during the meal for a yummy turkey sandwich on white bread. The stuffing has always been my love throughout the years. So, that’s what I’ve got on the table for you but I’ve given it a European touch. Blame it on my recent trip to the French province Quebec, a place where homemade baguettes and gourmet coffee make every day feel like Thanksgiving.
Fresh veggies, fruit, herbal tea and small portions to lose lbs

Turkey-Cheese Baguette

·        1 sourdough baguette
·        Mayonnaise with olive oil
·        4 thick slices roasted deli turkey
·        4 slices cheese, gouda or Swiss
·        2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
·        ½ cup baby spinach, raw
·        Ground pepper and sea salt to taste

Stuffing is high is salt so moderation is key, not
deprivation...Eggnog gelato shake--savor half!
Slice in half one fresh baguette. Spread with mayo. Layer turkey and cheese and top with cheese. Add tomatoes and spinach. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Cut in diagonal pieces.  Serves 2-3.


Apple-Walnut Dressing

·        1/3-1/2 cup European style butter
·        ¼ cup onion, yellow, roughly chopped
·        ½ cup celery, diced
·        ½ cup apples, Fuji, chopped
·        ½ cup walnuts, chopped
·        ¾ cup water
·        8 ounces pre-seasoned dressing (store-bought box)

In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté vegetables. Remove from stove. Add dressing and stir in water. Spread into a square or round casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake 40-50 minutes. Take off foil for extra brown crunch. Serves approximately 6.

These familiar foods gleaned from a Thanksgiving real meal are easy to make and aren’t too far off from Turkey Day tradition. Plating the sandwiches with a small dish of dressing (it’s high in sodium), and fresh fruit, such as purple grapes, is perfect. Also, for a special treat serve flavored coffee (such as pumpkin spice with a dollop of whipped cream and a dash of nutmeg) and a few gourmet dark chocolates.

During a time when friends and family are far away, I try to connect via telephone or Internet and show my interest. Plus, as an intuitive, I will be working the networks for those sensitive souls who need a bit of chicken soup-type comfort to lessen the ups and downs during the holiday season. So, I’m doing my part and won’t have a muffin top come the New Year!

Motto: Thanksgiving at Lake Tahoe is a time for good food, but also a time for gratitude of our blessings.

 Cal Orey, M.A.  is an author and journalist. Her website is www.calorey.com .  Diet recipes in the Healing Powers Series.







No comments:

Post a Comment