Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pre-Fall Breakfast for You or (Your) Honey

When I migrated to Tahoe, the first fall was a big change with leaves changing color, pine cones, busy squirrels, plus colder nights minus vegetables growing on the sides of the roads.  One morning I made quickie frozen waffles teamed with generic syrup. It was quick as I geared up for the first snow, buying a cord of wood and learning to make a fire,  and swimming outdoors in a snow flurries. I felt like I was in a foreign land. It was autumn on the south shore and I fell in love with the season.

These days, I love being in the kitchen, feeling pre-fall and anticipating the first days of seasonal change. This morning  I brewed a pot of flavored vanilla coffee, and put together honey waffles from scratch.  Getting the ingredients together was easy —and so was watching the batter turn into waffles.


Honey Waffles
* * *
1 cup whole wheat  flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon  ground cinnamon
2 organic  brown eggs
3 tablespoons honey 



Premium maple syrup or honey
European style butter
Confectioners’ sugar
Fresh summer berries

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and spices. In smaller bowl stir eggs and honey.  Pour into dry ingredients. Mix well. Turn on nonstick waffle iron.  Pour half batter onto iron. Wait till steam rises. Top with confectioners’ sugar, a small pat of real butter and drizzle with syrup. Makes 2 waffles. (Double the recipe for friends and family.)


These waffles are so easy to make, not to ignore the fact they are easy on the budget (except for syrup—go for all natural).  The second waffle turned out picture perfect.  It was simple to remove from the waffle iron and a joy to plate. I felt like a proud mom giving birth to a waffle.  I dusted it with powdered sugar reminding me that fall is around the corner. I'm feeling the coming of fall.

For more honey-related recipes check out The Healing Powers of Honey--part of the Healing Powers Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment