Friday, June 20, 2014

Going to Europe or...Savoring Montreal, Quebec?

By Cal Orey
A few weeks ago, I began planning a much wanted trip to Europe. Getting my passport renewed was a doable challenge. It's in the works and should arrive within a few weeks. Next on the list was to book a flight to Rome, Italy. But then things changed... 

I did not know flying abroad would take more than a day. Flight times range from 21 hours to 31 hours. Going the distance via coach? Ugh. Who in the real world could or would do it? I'd feel like a sardine among hundreds. Team that with potential turbulence, no sleep, flight food, and jet lag. It's enough to make me stay home, go swimming, hot tub, and take the two boys--my beloved canines around the Lake or to San Francisco for diversity, pubs, culture and more.  But hold the phone. Montreal, Quebec could be almost-almost be like a little Europe!

Nah, if I stay home I'll always have regrets. But that doesn't mean I can't change my original plans. Sure, Dublin, Ireland is on the wish list but we're talking 17 hour and more flights and two layovers. Barcelona, Spain is also alluring if I didn't have to fly to get there. So, I got the idea to go back to Quebec. Decades ago I hitchhiked to the city and was hit by cultural shock. Nobody warned me that it was a French speaking province. The metric system was foreign to me. I escaped to Ontario which is more Americanized and I felt almost at home. I vowed to return to Montreal when I became an author...

So, here I am. With my 2nd edition of The Healing Powers of Olive Oil due out at the end of the year, the series working for me like good kids all grown up. I'm almost ready to click my mouse and book the flight to Quebec.  Twice but I was saved by a psychic network caller's phone ring. We're talking 7 hours to get there, awesome hotels, great architecture, good eats, and a taste of Europe. Well, today my vote is for Quebec...


No comments:

Post a Comment