Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It's Coffee Time Year-Round

By Cal Orey
The Writing Gourmet
Today, at Lake Tahoe I'm feeling the warmth of pre-summer. My days of swimming at the indoor resort are limited as the tourists begin to swarm into the basin. Soon, it's to the outdoor pool and walking the dogs earlier than later. The windows are open, the fish aquarium lights are left on less, and the critters sleep on top of the comforters, not underneath. But my favorite premium fresh ground coffee (served hot) is still in my life...
In the a.m., my first treat (after feeding the Brittany duo), is brewing a fresh cup of java. Yes, I still bring it back with me to the king sized waterbed and tune into CNN and fetch e-mails. It's my time--coffee time.
These days, I'm booking a tour for my new book The Healing Powers of Coffee (Kensington, July 31). Sure, it could have been a cozy debut for winter but who doesn't like coffee in the morning, late  night, and iced coffee during hot afternoons. My book has you covered--all seasons.  To hold you over till next month, here's a fine recipe from a fine source from my fine book! (For a peek preview, with a click of your mouse, take a look at an excerpt in Elegant Living Magazine, pages 12-13.)


Seize the Day Cafe au Lait
* * *
2/3 cup low-fat (2 percent) milk
2/3 cup hot, brewed French or other dark roast coffee
2 teaspoons chocolate-flavored syrup
Grated chocolate, or freshly ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon almond extract


In a small saucepan combine the milk, chocolate syrup, and almond extract until blended. Bring just to a boil over medium-low heat. Pour the milk mixture and coffee simultaneously into a French cafe au lait bowl, or large coffee cup. Top with grated chocolate or freshly ground nutmeg, if desired. Served immediately. Makes 1 serving.
(Courtesy: Coffee Science Organization.)

No comments:

Post a Comment