Monday, May 17, 2010

Recession-Style Banana Nut Muffins



By The Writing Gourmet

I finally get it. Before the Great Recession I didn't think about "budget" or "cash flow". Money wasn't in my vocabulary when I'd go for swims at one of the resort pools. Often a Starbucks banana nut muffin and latte would be my treat--10 bucks. (I'd gamble, too. Remember, I'm "intuitive.") Then, things changed...
Today after swimming and hot tubbing (yes, I still do it because it keeps me sane and healthy), I came home to a cup of tea and I whipped up a batch of homemade banana nut muffins. Why? I read my banana nut bread article "Going Bananas" in Friday issue of the Tahoe Daily Tribune and 1) It made me hungry; 2) I wanted the nice sweet and spicy aroma in my cabin. 3) A few bananas in the kitchen looked ripe and I thought: "This it a perfect time to save money." Note: The Gulf oil spill may cause the low cost of bananas to soar. Or not. No matter. I did the math quickly. If I made 12 muffins and froze 'em--think of the dough I'd save!
Meanwhile, I'm thinking this is so sad. I'm one of the boomers who thought all would be good to go and no money woes in my golden years that are ahead of me-- one day. While things could be worse, I'm more money savvy these days. I know now that the recession recovery or threat of a double whammy is not life-threatening. I--the penniless one who wore jeans and t-shirts and hitchhiked around America with my pooch--can do it. After all, the best things in life are for free or you can make it yourself and practice self-reliance.
BTW: Yes, this intuitive did predict the recession mess (I was one month off). Here, take a look at the press release: "Author-Intuitive's Lean Times Forecast Hits on the Money". Yeah, I saved it, too.

Recession-Style Banana Nut Muffins
* * *
1 3/4 cups all natural whole wheat flour
1 brown organic egg
1 cup 2% low-fat organic milk
2 -3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
raw organic sugar

In a bowl mix dry ingredients. Fold in beaten egg, milk, bananas, oil, nuts and flavoring. Pour into a paper-lined muffin tin (12). Sprinkle each with raw organic sugar (it makes a nice crunch). Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or till golden brown. Cool. Eat one with a cup of hot tea (chamomile is good to help you stay calm during the ups and downs of ongoing economic woes). Freeze 11 muffins for a rainy day or power outage. Read: Thunderstorms are forecasted this week.
P.S. Coincidentally, it's also going to rain tonight and tomorrow at Lake Tahoe. On the bright side (or maybe not), I've noticed a few For Sale signs in the neighborhood. More change$ are in the air. I feel it. I'm getting vibes that it's time for a cup of tea. And the cost is just about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment