Friday, April 9, 2010

It's Strawberry Scones Time!


By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet

Once spring hit I thought that my baking days were over. Not so. The best part is that by living in the sierra we have a mix of winter and spring so whipping up my fave goodies, like scones, isn't unthinkable. Fresh fruit scones are perfect for the combination of warm and cold temps...
Today, strawberries were on sale and I couldn't resist buying a few containers of this sweet and juicy fruit. Then, I began brainstorming: strawberry pie like my mom used to bake; strawberry shortcake because I love it; strawberry-fruit salad because I was thinking of the fruit salad Maggie (Meg Ryan) made at a Lake Tahoe mountain cabin in one of my must-see 100 times films City of Angels...And finally, it came to me. Strawberry scones works at Lake Tahoe this time of year. Not too heavy and not too light. And that is exactly what I'm going to bake this weekend. Here's an easy failproof recipe that I have used before (but with different fruits).

Strawberry Springtime Scones

* * *
3 1/2 cups 100% natural whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granualted sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup European Style butter, unsalted
1 cup low fat, all natural vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
1 brown egg
1 tablespoon allspice
1 tablespoon fresh orange or lemon rind
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
a dash of Mediterranean Sea Salt
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
Sliced almonds (optional)
Whipped cream cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add chunks of butter (sliced in small squares). In another bowl combine yogurt, milk, and egg and stir until a dough-like mixture forms. I use my hands. Fold in strawberries, chips and citrus rind. Drop large sponfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with organic raw sugar and almonds. Bake until brown and crusty, about 12 to 14 minutes. Serve sliced and spread with whipped cream cheese and fresh strawberries.

I've been to Scone Land and I love all scones: pumpkin, cranberry, apple, ginger, and I'm sure these strawberry ones will be tasty in their own spring way--not as warming as pumpkin and ginger. Paired with a cup of fresh coffee or herbal tea will make these scones a yummy fit for one or company. Speaking of people...Next week I'm expecting visitors. This may be the ideal treat to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment