Sunday, January 10, 2010

Northern California Coastal Tuna Pasta Bake



By Cal Orey,

The Writing Gourmet

Since Saturday afternoon I've been consumed with the Offshore Northern California 6.5 earthquake. Not only did I predict it, (and it was noticed and felt by fellow quake sensitives) I felt I had an inside edge with the sea lions who I believe also sensed the oncoming quake. To chill last night I put together an old fashioned favorite--Tuna Casserole--and I gave it a healthier, Italian spin to it...
When events unfold in our lives it's important to eat nutrient-dense foods, and this casserole includes vegetables, whole grains, and fish--essentials of the Mediterranean diet. It doesn't stop there. Getting a move on (yes, I got my swim today) helps keep my mind, body, and spirit nourished during challenging times. Read: To feel balanced I crave healthy food and exercise. And yes, this tuna casserole, served hot, boasts a nice earthy flavor, creamy and crunchy (it's the chips) texture, and here, take a look.

Northern California Coastal Tuna Casserole

2 to 3 cups whole grain pasta
1 six ounce can white albcore tuna
1 cup organic mozzarella and/or Monterey Jack, shredded
1/2 cup 2% low-fat evaporated milk
1/2 cup organic 2% low-fat milk
1- 1/2 cups fresh cruciferous vegetables, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, chopped

Mediterranean sea salt, nutmeg, pepper to taste
Vinegar and Sea Salt potato chips, all natural

Boil pasta al dente. Drain. In a mixing bowl combine cheeses. Add pepper and nutmeg. Mix well. In a rustic Earthenware casserole dish I layered ingredients: pasta, veggies, cheese. The top layer will be topped with cheese and chips. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Serve with hot garlic bread made with whole grain French bread, butter, fresh garlic and parsley. And a spinach salad drizzled with olive oil and red wine vinegar is optional.

So there you go. It's easy. It's fast. It's a dish that will make you feel good inside and out. One more thing, while we're on the topic of tuna. I feel I was a mermaid in a past life. After today's swim (the pool, all mine), I took Seth, my three-year-old Brittany to the vet (maintenance stuff), and at the pet food store (to pick up the pooches' California Natural dog food with chicken and rice), I ended up snagging a few new fish friends. For some reason, I have a deep bond with sea lions, water, and fish.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.examiner.com/x-19684-Seattle-Psychic-Examiner~y2010m1d10-Author-Cal-Orey-hits-a-big-bullseye-in-earthquake-prediction

    I love this photo--doggies and sea lions.

    ReplyDelete