Friday, December 11, 2009

Room Service Pancakes with Honeycrisp Apples

By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet
“The laziest man I ever met put popcorn in his pancakes so they would turn over by themselves.” -- W. C. Fields

I'm a self-professed night owl. Sure, it's my fantasy to jump out of bed at the crack of dawn and go straight to the kitchen and whip up a creative gourmet breakfast. But in real life I'd rather dial for room service and get yummy pancakes in a flash. Since I'm not at a hotel with a menu in my hand, I'm going to Plan B. I just made an experimental breakfast and wow. So, here I sit thinking hot pancakes--drizzled with premium gourmet maple syrup--(like the one I just devoured) is the way to go for a pre-wintery Saturday morning...
Tomorrow I'm going to warm up the low-fat oat bran pancakes that I just made. It's so easy: Complete Mix--just add water. Use a nonstick pan and no fuss or muss. These pancakes contain no trans fat, are a good source of protein, calcium, and iron. And they really taste good--light and fluffy.
Plus, I wanted to add something special. Those delicious crunchy Honeycrisp apples are still hanging around Lake Tahoe. A bit more pricey than a month ago, but they are worth every bite. This time, I chopped up one and sauteed it in a small bit of butter, cinnamon and sprinkled it with brown sugar. Several minutes later I knew this special touch was going to work--fresh, warm, sweet, tart and spicy--and give me quickie gourmet pancakes in a flash.
Yeah, I have done the pancakes from scratch thing. But mix pancakes with some essential nutrients is so easy if you're not in the mood to cook in the a.m. and have other things planned. Read: Shovel snow, walk dogs in snow, shovel snow... (Plus, the post office is on the agenda for getting out advance copies of my new book The Healing Powers of Chocolate.)
News Flash: I just read the NOAA report. Two inches of the white power per hour? Fun. Fun. Fun. On the upside, no pancake boo boos from the first one to the last. That is a first. You know how the first pancake is sometimes imperfect? Not so this time. I put each perfect pancake into a container next to the apples. So, in the morning I'll have gourmet-style Oat Bran Pancakes with my fave apples and syrup to die for--in less than a minute. That's sweet, especially when you're getting buried in the white stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment