By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet
"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get."--Forrest Gump
Welcome to my new book. THE HEALING POWERS OF CHOCOLATE traces the origin of chocolate, from bean to bar, from centuries ago to the present day. In creating this informative and fascinating book, I interviewed America’s top chocolate makers and chocolatiers, nutritionists, medical researchers, and chocolate lovers to find out how this ancient “food of the gods” can prevent and fight common ailments and diseases. And I indulged in chocolate (all types, shapes and in a variety of dishes) from the West Coast, East Coast, Midwest, Deep South and even Ireland...
The result? The Healing Powers of Chocolate (accepted by One Spirit Book Club; noted as "Editor's Faves" in Complete Woman magazine on stands Dec./Jan) is part of the popular international Healing Powers series. Published by Kensington, this edgy book is a lively comprehensive guide to the wide world of quality chocolate, from 70% dark truffles to Italian biscotti baked with extra virgin olive oil, in America and around the globe. With proven data for eating dark chocolate containing cocoa flavanols to reduce heart disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity, and dozens of pesky ailments, this book—with a European twist—takes you on a magical chocolate tour, complete with wit, charm, and entertaining personal anecdotes from ancient folklore to the 20th and 21st century.
So, is chocolate and The Healing Powers of Chocolate--the different treat to grab--grabbing attention? Here, take a look:
* “The right kind, the right amount of chocolate may just save your life.”--Ann Louise Gittleman, Ph.D., author of New York Times bestseller The Fat Flush Plan
* “Can dark chocolate boost brain power? This book shows you how regular intake of antioxidant rich cacao foods is likely to do just that, and more.”--Ray Sahelian, M.D., author of Mind Boosters
* “The powerful polyphenols in dark chocolate are a 21st century health food—your Rx for longevity!”--Karlis Ullis, M.D., Medical Director of Sports Medicine and Anti-Aging Medical Group, Santa Monica, CA
* “A fascinating read full of amazing anecdotes and edgy information. Orey's book entertains while sharing new ways to pair fine chocolate and quality extra virgin olive oil in homemade recipes, from appetizers and entrees to sauces and desserts.”-- Gemma Sanita Sciabica., author of Cooking with California Olive Oil
* “Fine chocolate is about taste, style, and integrity, and fine chocolate is the medium for our message. It is delightful to find an author who understands all this!”--John Down & Joe Guiliano, founders of Christopher Norman Chocolates
* “To appreciate the ultimate aphrodisiac, read this stimulating book.” -- Dr. Ava Cadell, author and founder of Loveology University
* “Chocolate is a taste of divine ecstasy on Earth. It is our sensual communion. Orey's journalistic style and efforts share this insight with readers around the world.” -- Jim Walsh, founder of Intentional Chocolate