Monday, November 9, 2009

Chocolate Coco-nut Chip Cookies with a Tropical Twist



By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet


People might say that chocolate chip cookies are good, but they have to be freshly baked cookies." -- Brian Wansink

As we edge towards mid-November it looks like our tropical-like Lake Tahoe weather streak may be ending. I have mixed feelings about it. I keep hearing that song Put the Lime in the Coconut play in my head but watch NOAA's weather forecast for possible snowfall at 6,000 feet. Meanwhile, when I swim, like today, it just doesn't seem like fall will give us winter-type weather. So, last night I made homemade chocolate chip cookies with a healthful grown-up tropical twist. Translation: I added lots of Mediterranean foods including nuts, dark chocolate and olive oil...
Tropical Twist Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups all natural whole wheat flour (I added an extra 1/4 cup because of the altitude)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, unsalted
1 brown egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Mediterranean sea salt
1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup coconut, shredded
1 cup premium dark chocolate chips, 60-70% cacao
3/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
dark chocolate shavings

Preheat ovent to 350 degrees. In a bowl mix flour, soda, and salt. Melt butter (I like to do it that way) and mix together egg, oil, sugars, and vanilla. Fold in dark chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut. Roll petite balls on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes. Once out of oven sprinkle with dark chocolate shavings and/or nuts or coconut flakes. Makes about two dozen.

It's a challenge to bake cookies in the mountains. You've got to get the right mix of sugars and flour for a chewy bite and mountain-like cookie--not flat. I think I've got it down after a decade of living here in the Sierras. I made these tropical treats smaller than larger so I can keep calories in check. Munching on one after a swim or dog walk is a tropical treat. Speaking of dogs...An almost doggie E.R. moment happened last night while mixing up these cookies. (I decided to let my boys be with me since the recipe is quick and easy.) But before I knew it, the bag of chocolate chips dropped onto the kitchen floor and my food-loving Brittany duo scoped 'em out as if they were a big bird in the field. Thank God I rounded up both pooches into another room asap. Whew! It was a close call.

But all is good and I (not Simon and Seth) got to enjoy the freshly baked, warm, oh-so chocolatey, chewy chocolate chip cookies. The hint of lime flavoring, light crunch of nuts (I used the baking kind so I didn't have to chop the big, pricey ones), and double chocolate works like a charm. I keep singing that song Put the Lime in the Coconut and get memorable images of the midnight kitchen scene in Practial Magic. And yes, these chocolate chip cookies have a magical taste with its tropical ingredients. I hope it doesn't snow. Not yet. I can do rain. Why am I fantasizing about relocating to The Big Island? A cup of gourmet hot chocolate paired with one of these cookies will get me and you through the awkward hump month before Old Man Winter arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment