Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sierra Style Hot Dutch Apple Pie 'N' Mocha Java


By Cal Orey,
The Writing Gourmet

--Proverb

Ever notice how baking is oh-so good for the spirit on a good day? I planned to bake a Dutch Apple Pie but waited till the right time. It was today. It was after the dreaded woman's annual doctor's visit. My brother went with me. How sweet is that for a sibling task? The upside: It wasn't the big, terrible ordeal I had anticipated it to be. No worries. All went well. So, I celebrated fulfilling those preventative health tests (the pesky things women should do regularly that I've practiced and preached about for years in articles and books) by putting together a healthful pie that I was thinking about creating for a whole week. It was well worth the wait because I felt well...

I used Honeycrisp Apples. I've never tasted these sweet and tart crisp apples. The store clerk told me that they're special here at Tahoe and won't last long. When slicing them it was a test to save 'em or bake 'em. They're truly good for both baking and eating as is. I tossed in a couple of organic apples, also something new for me. And instead of my first double crust apple pie like I made a while ago, I chose the Dutch variety for the challenge to see if I could make it taste like the ones you buy at the store. It was easy, fun, and much healthier than store bought ones.

Dutch Apple Pie
1 store deep dish bought pie crust (still hooked on these)
7-8 Honeycrisp apples, washed, peeled, cored, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Crumbly Crust
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 stick European Style butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take pie crust out of freezer. Set aside to thaw for 15 minutes. Prepare apples and place in bowl of ice water. Melt butter and mix with flour, spices, and lemon juice and mix with apples. Set aside. Melt butter and add sugars and cinnamon. Place apple mixture in pie shell. Spread crumbly crust on top. Place a large piece of foil underneath the pie tin to prevent edges of crust burning. Bake 50 to 60 minutes. (If you live in high altitude it may take a bit longer.). It's done when crust is golden brown and apples are tender and bubbly.

Warning: Do not cut for at least one hour. Factoid: If you wait, slicing the pie will be nice and picture perfect. (But I had to taste and yes, it worked inside and outside on the topping.) I read that freezing a Dutch Apple Pie does well. But in my case I gave half to my brother as a gift for his support; the rest will be history within a few days. And note, warming it up in the microwave is a good thing because it brings out all the apple flavor and juices and you can enjoy the crunch of the crumbly topping.

So, tomorrow morning it looks like I will be waking up to snow and/or rain (80% probability) as the storm winds increase outside. I am looking forward to having a slice of almost homemade hot fresh apple pie with a cup of hot chocolate mocha flavored coffee splashed with low-fat organic milk. (And yes, this unconventional breakfast will be savored in bed where it's warm and cozy with the Brittanys and black cat Kerouac. No doubt we'll be looking out the windows at snow-covered pine trees. It should be a good morning.)





2 comments:

  1. Update: No snow. Ms. Sunshine is shining. Had the slice of pie with two gourmet dark chocolate 72% cacao on top with a cup of coffee. This pie is easy to make and will make you and yours smile.
    The sun is bright. A good day for raking pine needles, walking the dogs, and getting prepared for the release of The Healing Powers of Chocolate--my latest to be child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello out there...These apples are so perfect for a pie. I'm in love with honeycrisp apples.

    ReplyDelete