Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fresh Fruit Salad & Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar




By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet

"I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air."


--Nathaniel Hawthorne
Today I was a guest on a radio show hosted by Will Clower, Ph.D.--a guru on the Mediterranean Diet. We dished out a big helping of chat about the amazing powers of vinegar, olive oil, and chocolate. These three superfoods have so many virtues that I felt like a juggler trying to keep each in the limelight. Last night, on Captain Jack's program, I talked quakes in the Pacific Ring of Fire and Golden State along with geologist Jim Berkland. Three plus hours later...Whew. But hey, Dr. Clower gave me a new name: "Renaissance Woman." I always thought of me as "Nature Girl." No matter...
It does seem like whenever and whatever I write about the topic is related to Mother Earth. Speaking of the globe, yesterday I finished an article on the Swine Flu Shot for my November Earth Changes column in Oracle 20-20 magazine.
So, it's time for a little pampering R&R. Yes, I did go swimming this afternoon. The water was almost perfect--pool all mine. Yes, the Brittanys, Simon and Seth got a nice, long walk (the snow has melted). Now it's time to feast on autumn's fresh fruits. I am getting ready to whip up a healthful, immune-boosting seasonal fresh fruit salad dressed in chocolate balsamic vinegar. In the fridge there's a lot of Northern California fruits, such as kiwi, pears, grapes (green and purple), strawberries, and apples. I like the combo in the photo above. So that way I don't have to make any decisions. But I love pink grapefruit and dark chocolate so I'm including it to the salad.



Fresh Fruit Salad & Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar
1 fuji apple, slices
1 Granny Smith green apple, slices
1 orange, slices
1/2 pink grapefruit, slices
purple grapes

Combine in bowl. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on fruit. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar or honey. Put in the fridge and chill. Once cold, drizzle Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar on an elegant white plate. Spoon a half to one cup of fresh fruit mixture on top. (I have a bottle of Hotel Chocolat: Cocoa Nib & Balsamic Vinegar. One tablespoon is a mere 20 calories; 0 fat, cholesterol, sodium. It includes Cocoa Bean and Sugar Cocoa Powder.) As with red wine vinegar, the labeled contents aren't the entire story. Balsamic vinegar, like its grape-filled counterpart, contains powerful antioxidants that protect against heart disease--and may even fight cancer.)
So, pairing Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar with nutrient-dense fruits, you've got a good for you salad. This vinegar has a distinct, rich flavor. (I've enjoyed regular pricey balsamic vinegar on vanilla ice cream at an Italian restaurant). Pairing Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar with fresh fruits will titillate your palate and give you a taste of autumn.











2 comments:

  1. Oh that looks so good! :D Love the idea of chocolate and balsamic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea, there's so many awesome autumn fruits available. I include a chart on the right column, just click on your region and see what's out there. Chocolate and fruit pairs? Almost any can work.

    ReplyDelete