Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why Mini-Fasts Are Good For You

By Cal Orey,
The Writing Gourmet
-- Anonymous
During the research and writing of my new book The Healing Powers of Chocolate, I enjoyed chocolates, all kinds--truffles, barks, biscotti and lava cake. At 5'5" I maintained a size 4-6, low 120 pounds. (Blood pressure last night: 121/72/55.) How do I do it? I took a clue from the French women who are known to not get fat. I practiced portion control (smaller is better), ate 5-6 mini meals daily to boost my metabolism, swam (almost daily), and walked my energetic Brittanys (with French roots). But as fall approaches, I've been bit by the baking bug and don't want to gain unwanted pounds and body fat. Welcome to the wonderful world of good for you "mini-fasting"...
  • "We take vacations from work to relax, recharge and gain new perspectives on life," noted Elson M. Haas MD, author of The Detox Diet (Celestial Arts). "Taking vacations from food does the same thing." And that is exactly what I'm going to do for a few days. Why? Yesterday at the store I bought stuff to make homemade fudge (with quality dark chocolate) and casseroles (stuffed with veggies, whole grain pasta, cheese, and fish). Plus for my upcoming birthday I splurged and purchased new, improved baking dishes and pans. I am excited like a kid with fun toys as I continue to detox-feng shui the kitchen inside and out. But, I also want to cleanse my body inside and out.
  • So, I stocked up on fresh raspberries (late summer sale priced two for one baskets) and fresh greens to create spinach, tomato and cucumber salads drizzled with balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar and sprinkled with herbs. I've decided to "vegge out" and eat plenty of nutrient-dense vegetables--such as cruciferous veggies and whole grain brown rice, and fruits such as raspberries and blueberries, as well as drink lots of herbal tea (chamomile is my fave) and bottled water.
  • Nutritionists will tell you that cleansing diets help flush impurities from your system and detoxify it. And a detoxifying mini-fast can "rev up" your body as you slim down. Some perks include: gives your organs a rest, cleanses body, purifies, relaxes, rejuvenates, promotes regularity, and so much more.
  • So, as I continue to deep clean my kitchen (i.e., the curtains have been washed and professionally pressed; today I'm washing the outside windows with vinegar and water; cleaning the outside wood cupboards, I'll use vinegar and olive oil)--I'm going to detox my body, too.
  • Oh yeah, swimming is on the agenda at 1:00 P.M. Note: As colder climate moves in, don't give up your exercise routine. I made arrangements to move on into the indoor spa pool--in a few weeks--complete with pampering perks: hot tub to steam) and I've gotten back into the treadmill at home teamed with my go-getter pooch, 3 year-old Seth.

In a cocoa bean shell: Recently, I read "Don't trust a skinny chef." I disagree. Since I've been watching "Food Network"--I've noticed that some of the pro chefs are sporting too many pounds. Not a good thing. I believe you can make mean and tasty dishes and also maintain a mean body machine, too. It's a challenge to create and eat scrumptious food and stay lean. It takes work but it's worth it to keep you healthy and happy. A toast to the mini-detox diet--the route to allowing you to have your chocolate and eat it, too!

5 comments:

  1. Uh oh. Craving chocolate...It's got these feel-good compounds that are better than lovemaking. I dunno about this mini-fast thing. I'm starving. Off on a walk with the dogs...and then a big salad? Hmmm. The baking chocolate is calling my name. "Callie..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the Chefs and their "extra baggage" as Well! You'd think they'd work on that little problem!!hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna,
    I sense a new blog post in the making. Going to do that today. We want these amazing chefs to healthy up.
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to do a detox/cleanse/mini-fast, but have been too darn tootin' scared and had no lcue where to begin. I have all thee information but just have not taken the plunge.

    I don't know what I am afraid of, for I eat pretty darned good. One cup of coffee a day, no creamer and only raw sugar, I can count on one hand how much alcohol I have consumed in the last month, don't smoke, ideal weight, exercise regularly, so what am I afraid of?

    I have no clue, but I think this post at least got me thinking a bit more about actually getting off my duff and taking action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cooking Lady,
    There is a perfect vinegar/food 7 Day Detox Diet Plan in my book The Healing Powers of Vinegar. You'll love it. I promise you! And yes, it's healthy! Fasting is too hard on your system. Been there, done that. This is super. It's gentle and...Ch. 16, in the Fat-Burning Vinegar section after my interview with Ann Louise Gittleman, Ph.D.
    The vinegar book is available on all online bookstores, or you can get it through your local bookstore.

    ReplyDelete