Wednesday, June 17, 2009

DIY Fresh Salsa 'n' Tortilla Chips with Oil(s)--It's All Good


IT'S TIME TO MAKE YOUR OWN

FRESH SALSA 'N' TORTILLA CHIPS

(with Olive and Canola Oils)


Thirty years ago, I was living in Santa Cruz mountains...I was super connected to Mother Nature, like now at Lake Tahoe--and I cooked a lot of super food. I remember I made my own tortilla chips because there is nothing more comforting than biting into a warm, crispy chip in the comfort of your own home surround by towering redwood trees. I used fresh whole grain tortillas (cut the big round circles into big restaurant-style strips) and turned to canola oil to cook 'em up.

Fast forward to today... I came across this DIY salsa recipe in my book The Healing Powers of Vinegar. And it looks good to go and more than likely has less sodium and fresh ingredients than store bought brands, especially the bottled or canned stuff. And the "fresh" types? Well, who knows where they come from and the price is pricey. Plus, DIY salsa (click on the link and the salsa tune will put you in the mood to whip up a batch of the real thing) will be fresh, fresh, fresh and all-natural. How good is that? It's all good.


Make-Your-Own Salsa


1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 tablespoons canned jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar
1 tablespoon light olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 cups chopped very ripe fresh tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
pepper as desired

Microwave onion, green pepper, garlic, and oil (I prefer extra virgin olive oil), 1 minute on high, covered. Add tomatoes and oregano; microwave 2 minutes on high. Stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate an hour or overnight to blend flavor. Keeps for a week. Makes about 3 cups sauce.

Note: I suggest you make your own chips. It's cool to dip a warm, whole grain toasted tortilla chip into hot salsa made in your very own kitchen. Try it--let me know how this do-it-yourself recipe works for you--wherever you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment